Monday, August 22, 2011

Joel at camp and me going crazy

Joel has been waiting all summer for his counts to be up and to be feeling well enough to go hang out at camp with his friends.  Last week he started eating again and his counts finally went up.  On Friday he asked Dr. Dix if he could go work at camp and David said yes.
Everyday my alarm goes off at 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. and I don't have Joel here to stick with a needle.  I am in the habit of cooking lots of fattening food but I have no Joel here to force feed.
I sent him off with his needles and syringes, his vitamins, his ondansetron (for nausea), his septra (to prevent pneumonia)  but I drew the line at sending his morphine.  I figured if he needed the morphine then he needed to be at home.
And now I sit at home….. I am happy he is at camp, where he wants to be, with his friends.  I am thinking of driving out and checking on him….. every morning, mid-morning, afternoon, mid-afternoon, evening and night…..everyday…. all day.  Do you think he would be embarrassed if I did?  Do you think he would mind if I just went out to check his temperature?  How about if I go set up my tent and spend the week at camp with him?  I think someone needs to take my keys away and I need to find a project.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kirsten, You are such a good mama... Joel is lucky to be so loved! I pray that Joel stays well at camp and has some fun memories in the midst of all this. He is being sustained by God's hands.
    Hugs and Love to you all...
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete